Friday, January 20, 2006

Arroyo Signs a 3-year Deal with Boston

The departure of fun-loving teammates Johnny Damon and Kevin Millar didn't dissuade Bronson Arroyo from staying with the Boston Red Sox.

The 28-year-old right-hander took a hometown discount from the Red Sox on Thursday, agreeing to an $11.25 million, three-year contract. Arroyo said he took the deal against the advice of his agents because he liked playing in Boston.

"I signed at a pretty good discount," Arroyo said in a conference call with reporters. "They felt going year-to-year would be more beneficial for me financially. ... They felt like I was leaving close to $4 million on the table. But I could be in a car wreck tomorrow. So, at this point in my career, it's obviously."

Arroyo went 14-10 with a 4.51 ERA last season, pitching 205 1-3 innings. But as a young, relatively inexpensive pitcher, he is always among the first names mentioned when the Red Sox talk with small market teams looking to unload salaries.

"I love playing here. I love the fans. I love the city. I want to stay here for my whole career," he said. "I feel that's going to beneficial for me as well as the team. Hopefully, they see it that way and don't trade me."

Arroyo made $1,925,000 last season and gets a $750,000 signing bonus, $2.75 million this year, $3.8 million in 2007 and $3.95 million in 2008.

He had asked for $4.2 million in arbitration and the team had offered $2.95 million. Arroyo said neither of the Red Sox co-general managers, Jed Hoyer and Ben Cherington, could promise him that he won't be traded.
-----------------------------------------------------------

The Sox continue to work on their starting pitching. They have a lot more work to do with that messed up pitching staff.

1 Comments:

  • Thіs is a topic that is close tο my heаrt.
    .. Bеѕt wishes! Exactlу ωheгe aгe уouг cοntact ԁetailѕ though?


    mу wеblog ... ephedra weight loss

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home