Saturday, January 21, 2006

Mets Trade Benson to Baltimore

The Baltimore Orioles added much-needed experience to their starting rotation Saturday, acquiring right-hander Kris Benson from the New York Mets for right-handers Jorge Julio and John Maine.

Benson went 10-8 with a 4.13 ERA in 28 starts for New York last year. Despite spending all of April on the disabled list, he finished third on the Mets' staff in wins and starts.


"This gives us credibility in our starting rotation. We needed a veteran presence," Orioles first-year manager Sam Perlozzo said. "We don't need him to carry this staff; we just want him to pitch well. It's a great addition."

Perlozzo believes Benson has a decent shot of seizing the No. 1 spot in a rotation that tentatively includes Rodrigo Lopez, Erik Bedard, Daniel Cabrera and Bruce Chen.

"I think Kris certainly has that potential," Perlozzo said. "I don't want to put too much pressure on him, but I think he can be a major force in this rotation. Regardless, this gives us five days in a row that we can feel good about the guy we've got starting on the mound."

The 31-year-old Benson spent parts of five seasons with the Pittsburgh Pirates'before being traded to New York in July 2004. He missed the entire 2001 season after elbow ligament replacement surgery on his right elbow.

For his career, he is 57-61 with a 4.25 ERA in 165 starts.

"I was shocked when I heard about the trade this morning, but the more I thought about it, the more excited I got," Benson said. "I'm looking forward to helping out the rotation and doing everything I can to make this team a contender."
----------------------------------------------------------

I think this is a loss for the Mets. Benson is a much better pitcher then Julio and Maine are. The Mets now have to hunt for some more starting pitching after losing Benson to Baltimore and Seo to Los Angeles.

3 Comments:

  • HUGE loss for Mets...Benson is a guy I really like.

    By Blogger Matt A., at 8:00 PM  

  • Yeah, it's a shame that he got snared by Baltimore. But Omar Minaya has done a great job in the past as the Met's GM so I hope he knows what he's doing...

    By Blogger MVB, at 1:51 PM  

  • yeah...I totally agree about math and baseball!!!

    By Blogger Matt A., at 7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home